Frequently Asked Questions: Putting on Events.
Many activities in parks and woodlands that only involve a few people do not need to be booked and authorised, although, we would advise checking the What’s on calendar beforehand to avoid clashing with another event.
When do I need permission to hold an event in a park etc?
- any event or activity where there is a fee, charge or collection;
- where goods are sold or traded;
- fun fairs and shows;
- fitness and sporting activities;
- music festivals;
- weddings or large private gatherings;
- where more than 20 people are expected;
What events can I hold without permission?
Most activities carried out by individuals, families and community associations require no permission. For example,
- family picnic;
- health walk, informal games;
- school trip;
Are there any booking fees or charges?
Do I need insurance?
Who is responsible for Health and Safety?
Are there any rules covering Parks etc?
Bylaws: anyone found to be in breach by Magistrates Court may be fined.
Control Orders: anyone observed dropping litter not picking up after their dog etc may be given a fixed penalty notice.
Regulations governing trading, sale of food and alcohol apply.
Respect other People
- Respect the local community and other people enjoying the outdoors,
- Leave gates and property as you find them and follow paths unless wider access is available,
Protect the natural environment
- Leave no trace of your visit and take your litter home,
- Keep dogs under effective control at all times,
Enjoy the outdoors
- Plan ahead and be prepared,
- Follow advice and local signs.